Wednesday, October 4, 2006

6 Months Old


Gotta love our mad singing skills...

So we celebrated the big 6 monther with cupcakes and inoculations. The latter wasn't as pleasant & that's why I felt the need for cupcakes. Not that I ever really need the excuse for cupcakes. Jake of course, asked me to eat his for him because he's watching his waistline. I however, am still eating for 2 so I, of course, accepted. Not that he needs to watch the waistline, he's only gained about 6 oz in the last month bringing him to 17lb. 12 oz. and 26 inches long. He's slow and steady hanging out right at the 75% for height and 50% for weight. He's the most gorgeous, alert baby you've ever seen. Everyone says so, and they will also always say he's got the biggest eyes they've ever seen. I seriously can't believe it's been 6 months, HALF A YEAR, since I popped him out onto this strange little planet. I just watch him with such amazement that I have to bite my lip. It completely shocks me that this wonderful little person somehow exists because of Jonathan & I. I know I'm being an annoying gusher, but I can't help it. Let's face it, I'm a convert & I'll no longer roll my eyes (or worse) at another parent for gushing...

The doctor reminded me today that in the next month he may start crawling so I need to get to childproofing. I'm so not ready that. We have so far done the bare minimal by putting some childproof latches on our cupboards, but that was really done a few years ago to keep the cats out. We have one of those homes where friends of our with kids are afraid to come over. Lots of glassware, expensive books and pointy, heavy deathtraps lurking about. ugg. I feel like I need to wrap everything in bubble wrap...even Jake.

Six months also brings about some questions one must ask themselves. Nursing for one. On one hand, I would love to have my body back and have the days of being a moo-cow finally over. Then on the other hand, I could see myself happily nursing him well into kindergarten. I seriously won't, in case any of you are really concerned. Way too Last Emperor for me. But I still find it hard to imagine giving it up. A lot of mothers would have stopped by now, and understandably so, but I figure if I can why not. He not biting me or telling me that his new professor at Harvard sucks. For now, I'm going to keep going. Like I said, why not. PLUS, I need to get priority bulkhead seating for our U.K. flight this December and that goes to nursing mums. Reason enough for me.

1 comment:

sarah said...

happy 1/2 year jake!