Thursday, April 5, 2007

mmmmmmmmmm. cupcake.


So Jake not only now is a bona fide sugarholic, he's also officially a toddler. The two seem to go hand in hand I guess.
I seriously can't believe this crazy year has gone by so fast and my baby boy is now a loud, assertive, toddling little man. People warned me about how fast it would go, but when your at the beginning of parenthood and you're on very little sleep, you don't believe them. Days blend together into weeks and you're holding on to this shred of hope that they are indeed right. Turns out they are. Before you realize it, you're trying to decide between cupcakes or sheet cakes & bake or buy for your soon to be one year old's birthday party.
Then you mourn. At least I did, erhum, am. On one hand you know it's exciting that your baby is now turning into an independent child, but then on the other hand you realize, oh shit, your baby is turning into an independent child. You long for the simpler days of leaky boobs, hooter hiders and your once immobile baby.
I guess I'll always look back on that first year with fond memories. Aside from all the fretting it really wasn't all that hard. I loved looking at the world through his brand new eyes and I loved the fact that every week had something new for us to discover. All of those changes and milestones came and went so fast I barely had time to record them. One second they're cooing at you and the next they're stealing the keys to your car. Jake's babyhood has come to an end and toddlerhood has just begun. We are all a little scared.

Here are some more photos from his big day.

1 comment:

Sarah said...

i must be in a sappy state because this post made my teary.

happy birthday jake. we're glad we got to celebrate with you.