Friday, February 1, 2008

a little update...

Okay, I'm really sorry if this grosses you out, but for documentation purposes I feel the need to record this on this blog. So, that said, if you have issues with bodily secretions, please read no further.

Now, for the rest of you weirdos out there....

I'm 35 weeks and 5 days pregnant now, and yesterday I lost my mucus plug. I'll try to explain for those of you who have no idea what I'm talking about. In non-med speak, it's sort of this cork type thing that seals off the opening to the uterus and it's usually expelled at the beginning of labor. And there it was, staring at me and me staring at it in utter bewilderment. I even poked it a few times to make sure it was real. Yep, that’s right folks, poked it. You were really wanting to know that weren't you. I'm not really sure what this all means since I never noticed I lost it when I was pregnant with Jake, but never less, its progress I guess. In my panic after seeing such a thing, I googled it and read that I could go into labor within hours or weeks after loosing it. That's a clear cut answer for you. So, hoping for a more reassuring answer, I went in to see the doctor yesterday, and after the examination he told me I'm about 20% effaced and 0 dilated which basically could means I could go into labor tomorrow or weeks from now. hhhhhhhhmmmmmph.
So far I've had lots of irregular, but strong Braxton Hicks contractions that feel a bit crampy, but since they're irregular I'm not rushing to the maternity ward just yet. I honestly have no idea what the real thing feels like since I was induced last time, and given an epidural very early to get things dilating. My gut says I don't think I'll be having her any time soon and being only 35 weeks that's just fine. I'd rather have her bake a little while longer - 2 weeks would be perfect. Anyway - stay tuned.

No comments: