Tuesday, March 25, 2008

2 weeks


Easter

So anyway, I now have a two week old baby and a toddler. It's really hard to believe that's it's been two weeks since she was born. The day she was born started out normal, as they do. I took Jake to his Emerson Mommy & Me class, left at 11:30, took him home and fed him his lunch, then left for the hospital for my 1:00 fetal stress test appointment. On my way there I was feeling totally normal. I remember thinking, wouldn't it be great if I spontaneously went into labor during this doctors appt., as I thought going into every appointment for the last two weeks. But that would just be way too convenient to actually happen wouldn't it? I even parked at a meter fully confident that I could return before my time was up.
Anyway, I'm lying there all strapped up to the machine that goes "beep", talking to a friend of mine on the phone and noticing that I was having some cramping. Being that I had been having cramps for weeks, I immediately passed it off as more Braxton Hicks. Except, that machine that goes "beep" started frantically beeping really loud. The nurse soon returned and looked at the baby's heart rate on the monitor and said dully, "you've failed the test. You're going to have to be induced today." I said incredulously, "induced? today?". She looked at me sadly, knowing that was the last thing that I wanted, and tried to reassure me that it was best for the baby. Right before she ran out of the room to call "Ape Man", the doctor on call that day (didn't I say?) she mentioned that I was having regular contractions since I had been there. She also noted that the baby's heart rate only dipped during one contraction, but apparently that's enough to fail. So I called Jonathan who was coincidentally in the neighborhood, on his way back to the office from a meeting and told him between sobs that he need to come to the hospital. Soon more nurses showed up with i.v. bags, admitting papers and rubber gloves. They checked me and said I was dilated 3 centimeters. Putting two and two together I finally realized these were no Braxton Hicks. I was in true labor and I needed to start begging that they let me progress naturally. Jonathan was finally there and totally had my back & after pleading with Ape Man, he thankfully agreed and decided to just break my water to make things progress faster. And did they. Soon I was bellowing at the top of my lungs, leaking and cursing. That lasted a few hours. At 5 centimeters I finally got an epidural and decide next time, if there is a next time, I'll get the epidural upon registration. I'm fully satisfied now that I know well and truly what labor feels like (check that one off the life's to-do list). By 11 pm that night I was shaking like like a wet dog and it was time to push. Ape Man was also off duty by that time so things were indeed going very well. I had decided I wanted a mirror to catch the whole bloody show and I'm so glad I did. I won't bother elaborating on what I got to see, I'm sure you have an idea, but I will say that it was THEE most surreal 6 minutes (that's right, 6 minutes) of my life. It was like watching someone else on one of those movies they show you in Lamaze class. I remember when she came out she was so quiet. Scary quiet. Not at all like Jake was. Only when they put her on my chest and I could see her little eyes blinking and looking around, could I finally relax in the knowledge that she was just a perfect, healthy and quiet little baby. The whole experience was very calm and quiet in fact. Tom Cruise would've been proud. I nursed her and then realized I myself hadn't eaten in more than 12 hours. So Jonathan grabbed me his left over pizza that he was kind enough to eat in the waiting area while I dined on ice chips earlier that evening. A true moment of bliss.


So now, it's two weeks later. Chloe's umbilical cord finally fell off. I'm probably supposed to think that this cord is this romantic little thing that connected her to me for 9 months, but I must say I'm not going to miss it. My cat Blue gets stuff that looks like that stuck to his tail all the time.

Chloe's unbelievably pretty. I know I'm supposed to think that, but I genuinely think she's gorgeous. She's like a little pixie child. Although I'm crazy tired and feel like I've been through Nam, I've definitely gotten more sleep this time. She'll sleep from 11- 4 or sometimes 5. The doctor told me I shouldn't let her go more than 3 hours between feeds, but she's definitely fattening up so I don't think she's starving at night. Like I said, she's a good eater, no problems nursing or with reflux so I feel like we've struck gold with this baby. Bless him, Jake used to want to be fed around the clock, every two hours. Thankfully, because of past experience, I was quick to get her on a 3 hour schedule which has probably helped make her such a good sleeper. I'm really trying to savor this newborn phase. I remember with Jake I couldn't wait for it to be over, but now that I know how fast it goes, I'm clinging on to every cry, coo and cuddle like it'll be the last. Gooey I know.

Jake's adjusting too. He shows tons of affection and sweetness to his sister Chloe. Just the other day, he walked up to her and put his prized little digger in her hand. I immediately turned into a big pile of mush. All in all, 2 weeks later, things are good.

3 comments:

jamie said...

i like all of your ambiguous "if this is the last..." comments... does this mean #3 is in the future? ;)

Chria said...

Yay for three hour feeding cycles! Glad to see that you guys are adjusting and finding it so much easier this time around. Blaze the trail!

Addie's Mama said...

she is totally beautiful! time for me to come over and point my giant camera lends at her little mug.