Monday, November 10, 2008

I should not be this excited about pee

Except for the fact that it was Jake's and it was, SIT DOWN, in his potty!!!! tee hee!
This has been a long time coming and harder than I ever imagined it would be. I've been challenged by raising kids so far, but none can compare to this, the behemoth of all challenges. And to those who say, "What's the big deal? My kid just went at 9 months and has been diaper free EVER SINCE.". I say, bite me. The mere fact that he sat down long enough to relieve himself, intentionally, in the potty, is enough to go dance in the street. In my pajamas. It's a small miracle.

For whatever reason, Jake just hasn't been ready. We had tried EVERYTHING to lure him to the potty. Videos, books, 2 different pottys, stickers and even candy and none of them have done the trick. No amount of bargaining or clever persuasion could get him to have a seat. I'd see him focusing on something happening in his diaper and I'd ask very casually if he'd like to sit on the potty to go ______, and he'd scream, "NO POTTY!", and turn his head away to show that the potty and I no longer existed. I've been very patient and understanding that, hey, diapers are what he's comfortable with and as long as he's out of diapers before I have to start buying him the Depends due to his size, we're all good.

I've even tried convincing myself that I like changing diapers. It helps keep me young and nimble. It's easier on long car rides, plane trips and shopping trips. I'm really good at it too. I can clean a, burn your eyeballs it's so bad, diaper with one hand tied behind my back, blindfolded, using one wipe, all in under 30 seconds my friends. Oh yes, I'm that good.

But then.

For whatever reason, he was ready last night. We exchanged a tinkle for 3 Smarties candy. He was so proud and, I would say, probably a little freaked out by my slightly over the top reaction. Did he expect anything less than a impromptu "my son went pee pee on the potty" dance from mommy? What can I say, I was proud too. I'm considering this a promising step towards one less bottom that I have to clean. It was a good day for the family.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Proud of you Jacob!!!!
I'd also do anything for a Smartie - especially an orange one!
Love Grandma E
xxx

Addie's Mama said...

wooohooo. maybe he can convince Addie??