Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Little Shop of Horrors



For the record, if I ever again have to hold down a freaked-out-hysterical-no-way-in-hell-will-I-let-this-person-touch-me preschooler while at the dentist, I'm running for the hills or checking my self in to the Happy Valley Mental Institution. In other words, I'm electing Jon next time.

We have been talking with Jake a lot about the dentist leading up to this appointment. I was dreading what I knew was coming. After all, you just know your kid. There was no way in hell that he was going to just lay back and let some complete strangers prod around in his mouth. But regardless, it had to be done. I finally decided on a highly recommended local pediatric dentist, crossed my fingers, said a prayer and made the appointment.

Monday was the big day so we, meaning Chloe & I, took Jake in for his very first dental checkup and got way more than we bargained for. He had 3 cavities. Honestly, when we first got there, cavities never even entered my mind. Denial? Perhaps, but I just didn't think a three yr old could have so many. Okay, maybe one, but certainly not three! I think the reason why I wasn't thinking about cavities was because I seemed to escape the first 14 years of my life without a single one. I know! And my mom didn't start brushing my teeth until I was like 3, so go figure. I ALREADY know, I'm a freak of nature. And before I get any really annoying emails about brushing methods or bla bla bla from all the teeth experts out there, I brush my kids teeth morning and night. I may not score points in the meticulousness department but I don't think anyone really does with a 3 year old.

I kind of felt like a horrible mother. As irrational as this is, I felt a bit paranoid too. Like they MUST be thinking that I have been neglecting his teeth and force feeding him candy and root beer ever since he could chew. My mind was bouncing from feeling guilty to pure, unadulterated fear. Fully knowing that this meant fillings, which meant Novocain, which meant a huge needle, which meant OH MY GAWD! So, I knew they'd have to knock him out in some way which is luckily what they do anyway. Apparently, my 3 year old wasn't their first. They convinced me that if they did sedate him, he wouldn't remember a thing. He'd be awake, but hopefully calm enough to let them poke and prod.

So, fast forward to today. Jake was given a mild sedative to help relax him and then some nitrous oxide (I know, so jealous) which, if anything, got him through the x-rays and the first filling. When it came to the last two, I swear he was levitating. It took all of my weight and every ounce of strength, including the dentist and her assistant to hold down his convulsing 34 lb. frame.

Thankfully, the dentist was really patient and sweet with him considering she had to hit a moving target with such precision. $435 and many tears later, the traumatized dentist offered my traumatized kid a cheap plastic toy and an 85 cent toothbrush. She then proceeded to tell me that I needed to supervise him constantly all day, even when he sleeps, to make sure that he's breathing and not swallowing his tongue. That, and no lollipops.


Sedatives starting to take affect just in time for x-rays!!

hitting the good stuff and off to fluffy little clouds.


first filling, so far so good.

post dental nightmare w/ new cheap plastic lizard and blanket friend in hand.
poor baby.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Poor Jake - I really feel for you. Wish I could give you a BIG HUG !!!

Lots of love Grandma & Grandpa
xxx

Pierce-ville said...

This is totally horrifying. I think my future just flashed before my eyes. And no you are not horrible. I know other moms who've had the same thing happen. Some kids just have soft teeth or something.

Addie's Mama said...

i am very very afraid. but i think you and jake are rather brave.