Monday, February 22, 2010

An EGG! For Reals This Time!



In other news, Ethel laid an egg! A real egg from her own butt! And this time I don't have my father in law here to worry about it being a gag. Here's a photo of the pretty lil' thing. I'm so proud. I even wrote her name and the date on the egg and am going to keep it like any insane chicken mama would. I'll eat her next one.
These girls sure know how to cheer me up.


Ethel's is the one on the right and the one on the left is from the store. Her's is such a pretty color and way cuter than the store bought one. Am I right?

Addendum as of now, 3 hours later...

Oh boy, where do I start.... So, I just found out the egg in that there picture probably wasn't Ethel's first egg. Turns out there are 5 others that my mom "thought were dummy eggs". Let me back up, I had 3 wooden "dummy" eggs in the nest box to show them, Lucy & Ethel, that that's what they're suppose to do there. They had been there for a month or so and my mom even knew about them. So, yesterday after my mom discovered Ethel's "1st egg", I asked her to remove the wooden eggs because they obviously get what to do now. Only, unbeknownst to me, she removed 7, yes SEVEN EGGS. I don't know, maybe I'm just being persnickety, but it strikes me as hard to believe that it didn't dawn on her that there were more eggs there than before and half WERE NOT WOOD. I know she's getting old and all but if you can't tell the difference between a wooden egg and a real one, that's scary. So, I have a sneaking suspicion that she is just playing "REALLY DUMB" and just didn't want me to know that they started laying while I was in the hospital. I like the latter of the possible explanations. Less scary. And since I can't really tell which egg was the first one and have five whole eggs, I better start eating them!

YUM!

3 comments:

Chria said...

Ooh look at the deep color of that yolk! Was it as yummy as it looks?

Anonymous said...

Father in law duly chastised and very repentant!!!

Adriana said...

Bye bye tumors, hello eggs. Seems like a fair trade to me!