Sunday, March 21, 2010

Not Your Grandma's Lasagna


I recently joined a CSA (Community Supported Agriculture) against every molecule in Jon's being. This was the year that I decided to eat more vegetables, less meat and more locally, and if I'm doing it, the whole family has to, too. Hey, you cook, you choose, right? So, I figured if I got a box full of veggies every week, that would force me to have to expand on my usual recipe repertoire which doesn't usually involve a lot of vegetables. This is especially challenging when your husband doesn't eat vegetables. Ever. He claims it's because he has unusually sensitive taste buds which could be true. He's got the uncanny ability to pick out the most subtle of flavors in a meal. Ingredients most people wouldn't pick up on. Whatever.

Okay, so I what's a girl to do?

Tonight I prepared an old, reliable dish for our family, lasagna. Only, you really can't compare it to any lasagna you've ever had. It's not the traditional ricotta, mozzarella fare but give it a chance, it'll knock your socks off and it's so easy. I promise. This is my go to recipe when a friend has a baby or if someone just needs a meal. Only this time I had a bunch of kale & carrots to make use of thanks to my new CSA habit. Jon saw the pile of kale and was like, "what are you going to do with that?", & I told him he'd be better off if he didn't ask questions. To be informed is a bad thing sometimes. So when he wasn't looking, I snuck the veggies in the sauce and he was none the wiser. Sneaky.... You could probably get away with adding more carrots or whatever, but that's up to you. Tomato sauce it like the invisibly cloak for healthy stuff.

Here's the recipe.

Not Your Grandma's Lasagna

1 1/4 lbs of Italian Sausage
3 cloves of garlic, minced
about 5-7 kale or spinach leaves, pureed in food processor
1-2 large carrots shredded
1 small can of tomato paste
1 (15 oz) can of tomato sauce
1 tsp sugar
course salt
12 oz egg noodles (I used "no boil" noodles)
1 Tbs unsalted butter
1 cup sour cream
4 oz cream cheese, at room temperature
1 bunch of scallions
8 oz of white cheddar cheese

Heat oven to 350 degrees

Remove sausage meat from casings and saute until lightly browned in a large skillet over medium heat breaking it up as it cooks. Add garlic during the last few minutes before you add the next ingredients. Add tomato paste, tomato sauce and sugar. Fill tomato paste can with water and stir it in. Add kale and carrots. Simmer, covered, for 15-20 minutes.

Boil noodles if you didn't get the "no boil" ones.

Mix sour cream, cream cheese and scallions in a small bowl. Make layers in a 9x9 casserole dish, as follows: Spread a little sauce over bottom of dish, top with a layer of noodles, then spread half of he sour cream mixture, then noodles again, then meat sauce. Repeat these steps. Top lasagna with sliced cheddar.

Bake for 45-50 minutes until lasagna is bubbly and the cheese is lightly browned.

Now EAT!

1 comment:

Barbara Dunshee said...

Oh my. If this is as good as its glamor shot I'm in!