Saturday, March 27, 2010

Svedeesh puncekes. Um gesh dee bork, bork!



My family LOVES Swedish pancakes. We're not Swedish but my my uncle is, and we've learned to make his recipe over the years even though he makes them differently each time. He never goes off and actual recipe. It's a little of this and a bit of that and he goes with his intuition on how much of each ingredient. It's maddening even though there there isn't much to it. Since we didn't have him here this morning to guide us, we had to find a recipe that best matched our memory of his and change it up a bit. Hurty flurty schnipp schnipp!


You might say, well isn't it just a crepe? Actually no, but very close. A Swedish pancake calls for sugar in the recipe and a crepe usually relies on the filling to provide the sweetness, but it's pretty much the same. We like both but today we were putting in the sugar. Some recipes call for butter and others don't so this morning my mom and I had sort of a crepe off where she did hers with butter in the batter and I did mine without. I know, we're are CRAAAAZY! So, the verdict was that the ones with butter in the batter we more greasy. The only trade off is the ones w/out butter in the batter need butter in the pan for each crepe, erhum, I mean Swedish pancake. Bork bork bork!

So if you want to make these you'll need the right type of pan. Get one with at least a 8" flat bottom and non-stick is preferred.

Uncle Ron's Swedish Pancakes

3 eggs
1 1/4 C. flour
1 1/4 C. milk
1/4 Tbs. sugar
1/8 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. vanilla

Preheat a pan (cast iron or an 8 inch pan) over med/high heat. Mix eggs and a cup of the milk. Add in dry ingredients. Mix quickly but not for long. Add in the rest of the milk; combine well. This should be very thin batter.

Put a pat of butter into your hot pan. Once it is melted, pour about 1/4 cup batter into the pan. Swirl around until it's thin and even. I can never get mine perfectly round so don't worry about that. Let the Swedish pancake cook for about one minute, then flip and cook on other side about one minute (typically for me it is less). Be sure to put butter in the pan each time you cook another pancake.

Roll up the pancakes and put them on a plate. Serve with lingonberry preserves, maple syrup, or your favorite topping. Personally I like them filled with preserves and butter, and topped with a drizzle of maple syrup and powdered sugar. Pared with bacon and/or sausage and you have heaven on a plate. Restraint and Swedish pancakes just don't belong together. It was hard to even put them in the same sentence. Bork, bork bork!

After polishing off a few, I decided they are my new pancake. They are just so nice and light and I think I actually prefer them to the traditional American pancake.

Um de hur de hur de hur!


1 comment:

Adriana said...

I am getting Erik to make us these ASAP. He is Norwegian so we need a good Scandinavian 'cake. My mom is Hungarian and makes palacsinta which are the really thin, greasy cripsy-on-the-edges ones. They are delish, but you can only eat a couple before your stomach aches from the oil.